Feed-in Tariff Frequently Asked Questions

The FAQs on this page should help you with any queries you have about working with Good Energy as a FiT supplier. If you can't find the answer you need here, you can contact our Customer Care team on 0800 254 0000, or email the team at FIT@goodenergy.co.uk

What's your Feed-in Tariff query about?

Application process


How does FiT work?

The FiT scheme allows customers to generate their own electricity and receive payments in return. This electricity can be used in your own home, giving you the opportunity to save money on energy bills.


Which application form do I need and where do I find it?

We have two application forms. The basic form is for solar PV systems which are 30kW or less. This form contains our terms and conditions and your bank details which means we do not need to send you a welcome pack to gather this information. This makes the registration process quicker.

Our other application form is for non-solar PV installations and solar PV installations over 30kW. This form does not contain bank details or terms and conditions and so a welcome pack will be sent upon registration of these systems. Once this is returned the account will be fully registered and able for payments to be made. Both forms require the same supporting documents and are available to download from our website here.


I’ve submitted my application, what happens now?

FiT applications usually take between 4 and 5 weeks to process. We start by looking over your application and making sure we have all the correct documents and that the installation is eligible for FiT payments. We then create an account for you and register the installation with Ofgem. If there are any problems with your application we will contact you to let you know.

Once we’ve registered your application, we’ll send you an acceptance letter confirming your FiT ID, your eligibility date, your tariff and information about meter reads.


What supporting documents do I need to provide?

  • Proof of address – This could be any of the following; driving license, firearms license, bank statement, utility bill or a lease agreement
  • Proof of ownership - Proof of ownership can be a copy of your installer’s invoice, sale and purchase agreement or commissioning certificate. Unfortunately we cannot accept your MCS certificate as proof of ownership. The invoice or purchase agreement must state ‘Paid in full’ or ‘Full payment received’ so that we know that the panels have been paid for.
  • Proof of ID – This can be a copy of your driving license or passport.
  • MCS Certificate or ROO-FIT letter
  • EPC (Energy Performance Certificate )or EPC exemption
  • Letter of authority – if you are applying on behalf of a company you will need a letter on company headed paper authorising you to manage the FiT account on their behalf.



What tariff will I be on?

Your tariff will depend on a number of factors. Firstly we need to know what type of technology you have installed at the property and in addition, we need to know the total installed capacity of your Microgeneration system. If you have a PV installation we must also consider your energy efficiency rating. FiT tariffs are controlled by Ofgem and BEIS and will be dependent on when you joined the FiT scheme. Your tariff will increase slightly each year in line with inflation. A full list of tariff tables can be found here.


When will my FiT payments start?

The date your payments start depends on your eligibility date. The eligibility date is defined as the later of the following:

  • The date a FIT supplier receives a written request for FIT registration (including MCS certificate and supporting documentation) i.e. the date an application is received by the licensee
  • The date that Ofgem receive an application for ROO-FIT accreditation
  • The commissioning date of the installation


Once your account is fully registered, as long as we receive a valid meter reading, you will receive a payment in the next payment quarter. Your first payment will be backdated to the date of your start meter reading.


How is my payment calculated?

First we work out how much generation we need to pay you for. We do this by subtracting the last reading we paid you for, or your start meter read, from the most recent reading you’ve given us. This figure is then converted into a monetary value based on your generation tariff and deemed export tariff rates. We then calculate a total for all our customers and submit this amount to Ofgem. Once they have paid us, we make payments to all our FiT customers.

The period from the meter read deadline to us making payments is usually about two months.


How will you send my payment?

We will credit your nominated bank account with your payment. To do this we will need your bank details. If we don’t have your bank details your FiT payment might be delayed.


I haven’t received my remittance, can you send it again?

Remittances are sent following the payments being made every quarter. It will be sent by email or post depending on your preferences. If it is usually sent by email and you have not received it please check your spam and junk folders. If you consistently do not receive these then please contact us so we can check we have the correct contact details for you.


Will you let me know if my payment has been delayed?

If for any reason we are unable to send your payment within our planned timeframes, we will contact you to let you know. If there is a holdup, it can be because we don’t have current bank details to make the payment. Please check you have submitted your payment details.


How do I update my payment details?

In order to amend the bank details we hold for you, please let us know as soon as possible by completing the change of payment details form to ensure payments are made to the correct account. You will need to request this form from us.


Will I have to pay tax on my FiT payments?

Domestic customers do not have to pay tax on FiT payments. Business customers will need to check with HM Revenue & Customs.


Can I pay my energy bills with money I earn from FiT?

Your FiT account and supply account are completely separate, which means they cannot be offset against one another. You’ll still need to pay your energy bill as normal.

Why does it take two months for my payment to be processed?

This is because Ofgem have to calculate the FiT payment fund, known as the ‘levelisation’ process, for the quarter after all FiT suppliers have submitted their generation data to them – including us.  

All energy suppliers have to pay a contribution into the fund proportionate to their share of UK electricity customers. Ofgem invoices energy suppliers for their contribution around four weeks after the end of the quarter. Once all energy suppliers have paid into the fund, we receive the money to pay you around six weeks after the end of the quarter..

We make payments to generators as soon as we can after receiving this payment from Ofgem – this usually takes no longer than two weeks.


Meters and Meter Readings


Can you use my commissioning read as my start read?

Ofgem Legislation states that an installation only becomes eligible from when we receive an application. Once your system has been installed and you have received your MCS certificate, please send your application as soon as possible so we can secure the earliest possible eligibility date. We can only accept a start meter read from the date we receive an application onwards so we would recommend you send us your application as soon as your panels have been installed. This is to ensure you get paid for the maximum amount of generation.


Who is responsible for reading my generation meter?

It is your responsibility to provide Good Energy with your generation meter readings every quarter in order to receive your FiT payments. If you have a meter inspection, this only ensures your meter is working correctly, this reading does not get passed onto the FiT team for payment so you will still need to provide your meter reading that quarter.


How often should I submit meter readings?

We request that meter readings be submitted quarterly in March, June, September and December. The deadline is usually the 20th of the month. Your first meter reading, often referred to as your start meter read, is used to commence your FiT payments and this is when your first payment will be paid from.


Will you send me a meter read reminder?

We send quarterly meter read reminders about two weeks before a reading is due. They are sent either by email or post depending on your preferences. If you receive these by email please check your junk or spam folders as these come from a ‘no-reply’ email address which some email providers block.


How do I submit meter readings?

The best way to submit your meter reading to us is online or via our mobile app. To submit a reading you will need your account number, meter serial number and installation address. All of this information can be found on your acceptance letter. Once we have validated the reading and added it to your account, you’ll receive an email confirmation. If there are any problems with your reading we will get in touch to let you know.


Should I include a decimal point in my meter reading?

Yes. Most generation meters have a decimal point two digits from the end of the number. For example a reading of 10000 could actually be 100.00. You may have to look closely as it is sometimes quite difficult to see, but if you can submit your reading including the decimal point please do so. If you are unsure please send us a photo of the reading to help us verify the correct reading.


Can you estimate how many units I will generate?

We are unable to accept estimated meter readings. If you want to know your estimated annual generation, this can be found on your MCS certificate.


How do I take a reading from my generation meter?

Your generation meter will have a panel on the front which shows the reading. We require the kW generated including the decimal places. If you are unsure where the meter is located within your property, please contact your installer as we do not hold this information.


Why would a meter read fail and why do you require a photo of the meter?

We assess your meter readings using ‘Season Tolerance levels’ which are calculated based on historical weather data throughout the year. It is possible that on occasion you may be asked to provide photographic evidence of your meter readings. This usually indicates that your system is exceeding its expected levels.


If I don’t submit a reading will I miss out on my payment?

If you do not submit a reading before the quarterly deadline, the payment will roll over to the next quarter. As long as you submit a valid meter reading before the next deadline, the two quarters will be combined. You will never miss out on any monies owed to you.


What do I do if my meter is not working properly?

If you think your meter may not be working properly, or if you have submitted a reading which has failed our tolerance checks for being too low, then you will need to contact your installer and have them check the installation is performing as expected.


My meter has been changed, what do I do now?

When a meter has been changed there are a few pieces of information we require before we can amend the account:


  • The date the old meter was removed and a reading on this date
  • The date the new meter was installed and a reading on this date
  • The new meter model and make

It is important to make a note of the last reading from the old meter if possible. Without this reading we will not be able to calculate the generation on this meter before it was removed, and we will not be able to make a payment for this generation. When a meter is changed we amend the account to show the old meter is valid up until the date it was removed and we add on the new meter. We also update Ofgem to show this meter has been changed.


What is deemed export?

The term ‘deemed export’ is an industry term for estimated export. The Feed-in Tariff scheme pays generators for their total generation and for their deemed exported electricity. These are combined into one quarterly payment.

For many generators, a domestic solar PV system for example, measuring the exact number of units of electricity exported to the grid is currently agreed by the government as unnecessary. Instead, the amount of exported electricity will be ‘deemed’ based on the amount generated. For micro hydro systems the level of export is ‘deemed’ to be 75%. For all other technologies the level of export is ‘deemed’ to be 50% of total generation.


Do I need an export meter?

An export meter measures the electricity you export to the grid. For generators under 30kW in size it would only be worth installing an export meter if you will be exporting significantly more than 50% of your total generation (75% for hydro installations). There are costs involved installing and maintaining the export meter so these are not normally used for sites under 30kW. If you think your site is suitable for an export meter, you might want to consider Good Energy Smartgen.


Changes to Your Installation

I’m selling my property and the attached FiT technology, what do I need to do?

  1. Please tell us as soon as you are able. Do not give any of your account details to the new owners. This is to ensure we do not make any overpayments to you should they try to submit a meter reading using your details.
  2. Please make sure to take a meter reading from your generation meter the day the sale completes and send it to us. This will allow us to close your account and make your final payment.
  3. Please provide us with a forwarding address in case we need to contact you for any reason.
  4. Please provide written confirmation of the date of completion and the new owner’s name. Please also confirm the site address and that the installation was included in the sale of the property. This will act as proof of ownership for the new owners and allow the Feed-in Tariff payments to transfer to them.


I’m selling my property but not including the FiT technology in the sale, what do I need to do?

Please inform us as soon as possible so that we can ensure this is noted on your account. Please also provide us with your new address and phone number if the site address was also your correspondence address.


What happens if I buy a property with FiT technology?

If you purchase a property which already has FiT technology installed and has been registered for FiT by the previous owner, you will need to agree as part of the sale that you will take over the FiT contract and ownership of the panels. In order for us to register the change of ownership on Ofgem, we require that you complete the FiT Change of Ownership application form which can be found here. This will need to be returned to us with your ID and proof that the panels are now owned by you; this is usually a sale and purchase agreement, a letter from the previous owner, or a letter from a solicitor stating the panels were included in the sale of the property which is now owned by you.


My parent/spouse/family member has passed away and I need to transfer the Feed-in Tariff payments.

Please accept our sincerest condolences for your loss. Please inform us as soon as you are able and also provide a copy of their death certificate. Any outstanding payments will need to be made to the executor of the estate so please let us know who this is so that we can get this arranged. We will then be able to arrange a change of ownership application for the person who has inherited or purchased the property.


I’ve inherited a property from a family member with an attached FiT technology, how do I transfer the ownership to me?

We appreciate this will not be an easy time for you. We will require a copy of the Grant of Representation confirming you are now responsible for the property. If you are not named on the GoR, we will require a signed letter from the named person confirming that the transfer should be made to you along with the change of ownership application and your proof of ID.


What can I use as proof of ownership for a change of ownership application?

  • A sale and purchase agreement for the property which states that the FiT technology and rights to the FiT payments was included in the sale
  • Signed and dated TA10 showing the installation was included in the sale and a Land Registration. Title Deeds or Sale Completion Letter
  • A letter from a solicitor which states the FiT installation and rights to the FiT payment was included
  • Death certificate and Grant of Representation


How do I change my FiT licensee?

This is called ‘switching’. If you want to switch to Good Energy please complete our Switch application form which can be found here. We will arrange a ‘final read’ with your current licensee and advise Ofgem. Please note that all tariffs are set by BEIS and Ofgem and are consistent across all FiT licensees.


Battery storage

I have a battery installed as part of my FiT installation; do I need to tell my Licensee?

From 01/04/2018, it is a requirement of OFGEM’s that a generator informs their licensee if they have any co-located storage installed as part of their Feed-in Tariff installation. This includes battery storage.


What do I need to do if I have a battery installed?

If you have a battery installed as part of your Feed-in Tariff installation you will need to provide a schematic of the installation with your application form. This will then be reviewed to determine if the system is still eligible for Feed-in Tariff payments.


My FiT account is already set up and I have a battery; do I need to do anything?

OFGEM have said that all systems which include a battery, whether they are existing or new installations, need to be declared to your licensee. Please inform us if this is the case and send a copy of a schematic showing where the battery is located within the installation.

Getting In Touch


How can I contact you?

You can email us at fit@goodenergy.co.uk or give us a call on 01249 766 090.

What do I do if I need to make a complaint about my FiT account?

We work hard to ensure all of our staff are well-trained and highly knowledgeable across all areas of the business, but unfortunately things do sometimes go wrong. We have a complaints procedure in place, which can be found here.

Ready to switch?