Information from Citizens Advice about what to do if you have a problem with your energy.  

The energy market is constantly changing and with the cost of living going up, you might be worried about being able to pay for your energy bills. Citizens Advice is available to offer support and advice for any problems to do with your energy bills or meters.  

Get help with an energy problem 

If you have issues with your bills or meters, including struggling to pay for your energy bills, you can contact Citizens Advice or Advice Direct Scotland for free and independent advice and support. 

Get help with an energy problem

If you live in England or Wales: 


Phone: 0808 223 113 

Relay UK: 18001 0808 223 113 

Online chat: 

Phone lines and online chat available Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. Calls are free. 

If you live in Scotland: 


Phone: 0808 196 8660 

Relay UK: 18001 0808 196 8660 

Phone lines available Mon – Fri 9am-5pm. Calls are free. 

Reducing your bills 

There are lots of things you can do to save money on your energy bills without switching supplier. 

To find out more contact:  

Simple Energy Advice (England and Wales) 


Phone: 0800 444 202 

Phone lines available Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat – Sun 9am-5pm. Calls are free. 

Nest (Wales only) 


Phone: 0808 808 2244 

Phone lines available Mon-Fri 9am-6pm. Calls are free 

Home Energy Scotland (Scotland only) 


Phone: 0808 808 2282 

Phone lines available