how feed-in tariff payments work
Even though the FiT scheme is managed by the energy regulator, Ofgem, licensees (like us) are responsible for making sure our FiT customers get their payments. Here’s what happens behind the scenes to make sure everyone receives what they’re expecting:
- We collect your generation data: We send a reminder to all our FiT customers to submit their meter reading before the end of each quarter – that’s March, June, September and December. We’ll check the reading you’ve given us against what we expect for that type of generation system and get in touch directly if we need to.
- We submit a payment claim: We’ll make a payment claim – also known as a ‘levelisation’ claim – to a fund managed centrally by Ofgem, on behalf of our FiT customers. The deadline to submit this claim is usually around two weeks after the end of the quarter.
- Ofgem invoices us: Ofgem invoices us, the FiT supplier, for our share of the cost of these payments. All energy suppliers have to pay a contribution into the fund proportionate to their share of UK electricity customers. This usually happens around four weeks after the end of the quarter.
- Ofgem pays us: We receive a payment from the central fund so that we can pay our FiT generators. This usually happens around six weeks after the end of each quarter.
- We pay you – our FIT generators: It’s then over to us to process the FiT payments from Ofgem and pass them onto our FiT customers. This usually takes place around eight weeks after the end of each quarter.
Here’s a diagram of how the process works:
Good Energy's FiT payment timetable
|Quarterly period||Generator meter reading
|Ofgem pays Good
|Good Energy pays
|1st April - 30th June 2019||1st July - 30th September 2019||20th August 2019||Within 10 working days*|
|1 July - 30 Sept 2018||21 Sept 2018||19th November 2019||Within 10 working days*|
|1st October - 31st December 2019||20th December 2019||21st February 2020||Within 10 working days*|
|1st January - 31st March 2020||20th March 2020||25th May 2020||Within 10 working days*|
*We will make payments within 10 working days of Good Energy receiving funds from OFGEM
For more information about our payment process, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Important information for existing FiT customers:
Please make sure we have your up to date bank details so that we can process your FiT payment. If we don’t have them, your payment will be delayed. If you haven’t already given us your bank details, please contact our Customer Care team on 0800 254 0000.
Ready to switch?