How to read your meter
This short guide aims to explain how to read the most common types of meter found in the UK today, including gas dial meters, gas digital meters, electric single rate digital meters and Economy 7 meters.
If you have queries about a prepayment meter, please look here.
Single rate digital meter
Read the numbers from left to right, ignoring the final digit.
The reading in the image on the right would be 71683.
Electric dial meter
- Read the dials from left to right
- Dials next to each other move in opposite directions
- If the pointer falls in between numbers, always note the lower number
- If your pointer is between 9 and 0, 9 is the lower number
- Ignore any red dials
The reading in the above example of an electric dial meter would be 94286
Economy 7 Meter
Read the numbers from left to right, ignoring the last digit of each rate
The low rate reading in the image on the right would be 03781
The normal rate reading in the image on the right would be 54814
This reading would be 55868
Electronic meters could be for two systems, Economy 7 or SuperDeal/Flexiheat (Southern Electric area only)
- Ignore the red button
- Press the blue button to change the screen display to show what you want
- Ignore anything after the decimal point
The following table details which menu number you want to what data
|Normal display shows total units|
|1||Test display (shows system is working)||1|
|4||Rate 1 - day units||5|
|5||Rate 2 - night units||6|
|6||Total number of day & night units||7|
|7||Display returns to normal display||9|
Gas digital meter
- Ignore any numbers in red
- Ignore any numbers after a decimal point
- Use only the white digits
The reading on the right would be 7832
5 digit digital meter (gas)
Use only the first five numbers.
The reading on the left would be 85965
Gas dial meter
- Dials next to each other revolve in different directions
- If the pointer is between two numbers, choose the lowest number of the two
- If the pointer is between 9 and 0, 9 is the lowest number as 0 is the start of the next revolution
- Ignore the dials marked '100 per rev', any red dials, and the large dial
- Read the digits from left to right
The reading on the right would be 8859
Ready to switch?