If you think you have a problem with your gas, it must be dealt with immediately

Gas safety advice

What to do if you suspect a gas leak:

  • Call the 24 hour national gas emergency service free on 0800 111 999. Do not use a phone/mobile phone near a gas leak as it might ignite a spark.
  • Check if the pilot light has gone out. If any gas appliances have been left on, turn them off.
  • Do not turn light switches on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones, or any other electrical switches as they may cause a spark.
  • Do not smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
  • Open doors and windows to clear the gas.
  • Turn the main gas tap on the pipe leading into the meter to the ‘OFF’ position. The supply is off when the ridged line on the spindle is across the pipe.

 

You can ensure your gas appliances are safe by doing the following:

  • Make sure ventilation bricks or grilles or outside flues are never covered or blocked
  • Make sure you have your gas appliances serviced at least once a year by a Gas Safe Register engineer
  • If an appliance fails a gas safety check, it will be disconnected and labelled to say that it’s not safe. Do not use this appliance until it has been repaired or serviced by a qualified engineer.

More information from the Health and Safety Executive.

 

 

Gas safety checks

Free annual gas safety checks

All energy suppliers are obliged to give free gas safety checks to customers in receipt of a means tested benefit:

  • who have at least one occupant that is 5 years of or under.
  • who are of pensionable age, disables or chronically sick and either live alone or live with others who are all of pensionable age, disabled, chronically sick or under the age of 18.

Please note, if you are eligible for a free gas safety check and would like one, you must request it by calling the team on 0845 601 1410. We will only provide free gas safety checks if there has not been one at the property in the last 12 months.

Landlord gas safety checks

Landlords are responsible for the safety of their tenants. For more information, download the document from the Health and Safety Executive.

The Gas Safe Register

Gas checks and services must be carried out by engineers listed under the Gas Safe Register. All Gas Safe registered engineers carry an ID card as proof of identity. Please note: the Gas Safe Register used to be known as Council for Registered Gas Installers (CORGI), which was abolished 1st April 2009.

 

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas produced when there is not enough oxygen available to produce carbon dioxide, such as when operating a stove in an enclosed space.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is caused by the inhalation of carbon monoxide. As carbon monoxide gas is colourless, odourless, tasteless and initially nonirritating it is very difficult to detect. Below are some warning signs to keep an eye out for:

  • Orange or yellow gas flames
  • Increased condensation in the room or near appliances
  • Fumes or smoke in the house 
  • Solid fuel (coal or wood) will be more difficult to light, burn slowly or go out.

Be-alarmed is the national campaign to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by carbon monoxide. The website has plenty of information on how to stay safe and what to do in an emergency.

 

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Exposure at 100 carbon monoxide parts per million or more can be dangerous to human health. Symptoms are usually mistaken for common flu and include:  

  • Headaches
  • Breathlessness
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness  
  • Tiredness
  • Drowsiness
  • Vomiting
  • Pains in the chest
  • Stomach pains
  • Erratic behaviour
  • Visual problems

 

What to do if you have a carbon monoxide leak

In the home, carbon monoxide is most often produced by heaters, and cooking equipment. If you think you have a carbon monoxide leak follow the steps below:

  • Switch off the faulty appliance
  • Switch off your gas supply at the main control valve
  • Phone the national Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111 999
  • Open all your doors and windows to ventilate the house
  • Visit your GP urgently and tell them that you believe your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning and ask to have a blood or breath sample tested

 

How to prevent carbon monoxide leaks

  • Ensure chimneys and flues aren’t blocked up or air vents covered
  • Make sure gas appliances are regularly checked and serviced by a Gas Safe Register engineer
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm that is compliant with British Standard EN 50291 and carries a British or European approval mark, such as Kitemark. Find out more about making sure you install the correct carbon monoxide alarm

Ready to switch?