External Affairs and Communications Manager
Circa £40-£45K (dependent on experience) & excellent benefits
We are one of the UKs fastest growing green energy companies supplying 100% renewable electricity and green gas to domestic and business customers. Our sustainable and ethical approach to how we do business, combined with our award winning customer service, gives us high levels of customer and employee engagement.
Our purpose is to provide people with a choice to make a cleaner, greener future together. We do this by providing access to locally sourced renewable energy.We set up and own the UK’s first commercial wind farm and have expanded our energy generation capacity with a portfolio of our own wind and solar farms. The company was founded in 1999, is listed on AIM and now employs over 300 people in the historic market town of Chippenham, Wiltshire.
About the role
So we are not your typical energy company and this is not a typical PR or communications role. Good Energy is an ethical brand and we are not afraid to speak out. We have an amazing story to tell – one which many of our competitors envy. We already punch above our weight in terms of our volumes of media coverage and enjoy a good reputation amongst journalists and influencers – and it will be this role’s responsibility to build on that success.
Working closely with the Head of External Affairs and Communications, you’ll help to define the company Communications strategy and to manage the team who deliver it.
The External Affairs and Communications Manager role is pivotal to the team, managing work distribution within the team, building strong relationships with our internal stakeholders (including the Executive team, Marketing and Customer Services) in addition to helping build and shape our newly formed team.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Managing and delivering the press office function, with the aim to generate shareable content, increase brand awareness, build and manage Good Energy’s reputation in the industry and with customers and stakeholders.
- Remaining up to date with latest developments in the industry and relevant public policy and piggy-backing on announcements or breaking news to maximise PR value to the company
- Managing the press office budget, reporting regularly to the Head of External Affairs and Communications as required
- Supporting the Digital Marketing team and Customer Services team with strategic direction and content generation for our various social media channels, acting as the link between the various departments and expert within this field
- Researching, developing and pitching appropriate consumer, corporate and/or financial PR stories to the media in line with Good Energy’s image
- Supporting our company spokespeople, including the CEO with briefs, quotes and presentations for interviews, seminars etc. as required.
- Working closely with our Internal Communications Manager to ensure stories and activities are communicated to our staff in an engaging and exciting way.
- Managing and building a strong relationship with corporate/financial PR agency and other third party suppliers
- Supporting the Head of External Affairs and Communications and Finance and Investor Relations teams with corporate and financial PR including annual reports, interim reports and shareholder related communications as needed
- Supporting the Head of External Affairs and Communications with strategic planning and crisis management
- Managing the Communications Executive, including overseeing their professional development, workload, regular appraisals and annual reviews
Having considerable experience of working at a management level in communications roles in-house or agency-side, you will have a demonstrable track record of leading teams to generate media and PR brand value. With experience in media relations, you will be confident in pitching to and working with journalists.
You will be social media savvy and need to show that you have delivered digitally-integrated, impactful, and successful PR campaigns across consumer, B2B, trade and business titles.
You’ll have a can do attitude, be great at listening to others and at building relationships, working with credibility with stakeholders at all levels. Results orientated, with good people leadership skills, you will foster a creative environment for the team to deliver stand-out content.
You will be up-to-speed with the latest best practice in communications and will have a passion for sharing your skills and knowledge with others.
You don’t have to have a background in renewable energy but you must be motivated by working for a purpose and values led organisation, and have the capability to learn about a complex industry, fast.
We are a challenger in the energy market and this is an energy company like no other. You will work alongside colleagues who put our customers and our values at the heart of everything they do. You’ll be part of a small and friendly team so expect to make new friends and enjoy team activities outside of work. Just like us and our customers you will have an interest and understanding of environmental issues.
Behaviours - Works in a way which role models our values:
Straightforward - We are straightforward in how we communicate with each other and get things done.
Determined - We are determined and resilient, overcoming challenges to realise our purpose together.
Inclusive - We value people’s differences and recognise the strength they give us when we work together
Fair - In fulfilling our purpose, we aim to balance fairly the needs of our people with those of our customers, our shareholders and our futureholders.
In addition to a competitive salary we also offer a wide range of benefits. Our office in Chippenham is very accessible; just a short drive off the M4 and a two minute walk from the train station.
If you’d like to be part of a multi award winning, innovative and fast growing ethical energy business, we’d love to hear from you.
To apply please send a covering letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for this role is Thursday 17th August 2017
Ready to switch?