Applications Support Technician
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits
Changing the world is no easy task. But in 1999 that’s exactly what Good Energy set out to do. Its purpose is to enable people; in their homes and their businesses to play an important role in protecting their world from climate change, by providing access to locally sourced renewable energy. Fast forward 18 years and the business is now a key player in the renewable energy space, helping shape national debate & policy and enjoying hard earned business success, with strong revenue growth over the last 5 years.
The key to this success is the understanding that significant change can be achieved by individuals and businesses working together to make a difference at scale. “Together” has helped create a high performing team of c275 passionate, skilled and motivated colleagues. “Together” has galvanised thousands of consumers, business customers and renewable suppliers.
The business has recently reviewed its longer term strategy and is now poised to make its next leap forwards, focused on an ambitious growth agenda which delivers long term value for its customers, shareholders and people, enabling the achievement of its purpose to combat climate change.
About the role
As Applications Support Technician, you will be responsible for the day to day running, troubleshooting, upgrades and enhancements of Good Energy’s application stack.
The core responsibility will be to support, evolve and troubleshoot a range of applications. This role will involve managing the application stack including finance applications, billing applications and acting as the point of contact between Good Energy and third-party providers when appropriate. Key duties and accountabilities of the role will include;
- To support, maintain and ensure continued operations of the IT Application stack
- To pro-actively ensure high availability of key applications
- Assimilate and consolidate expertise within the business into the application support role, ensuring this role becomes the owner of all related activities
- Assist with annual budget planning with leadership to ensure that costing for future IT growth is fully and accurately forecast
- Develop effective mutually beneficial relationships with third party suppliers on troubleshooting issues in a timely manner and co-ordinating with stakeholders both internally and externally on upgrades
- Create and maintain all application topology documentation, cascade as required to key stakeholders. Upskill key stakeholders as required
- Work with IT Infrastructure team and service desk, and subject matter experts as appropriate to ensure application availability
- Escalate issues that require supplier expertise and own the issue until resolution
- Pro-active approach to fault finding, service assurance and ability to perform root cause analysis and accurate follow up on corrective actions to prevent recurrence
- Support the project, development and application teams in any other activities deemed necessary for the department to deliver application excellent to our customers
- Ensure that security of the applications is maintained and that all in scope systems are compliant with relevant patch and security levels
- Engage as required in project work to deliver new solutions to the business
With previous experience in maintaining and operating a complex and varied application stack, you’ll be a self-starter, possessing the ability to take ownership of applications with little or no existing documentation, consolidating the information held within other areas of the business.
With a high level of IT Literacy and experience using Microsoft Office products, you’ll have a pro-active approach to tacking new challenges and delivering solutions. In addition, you will possess strong skills in break fix and a proactive approach to anticipating and mitigating service impacting issues.
A level of expertise in SQL, strong documentation skills, supplier management and a high level of technical aptitude to master new products will be essential to be successful in the role.
Behaviours - Works in a way which role models our values:
We are straightforward in how we communicate with each other and get things done.
We are determined and resilient, overcoming challenges to realise our purpose together.
We value people’s differences and recognise the strength they give us when we work together.
In fulfilling our purpose, we aim to balance fairly the needs of our people with those of our customers, our shareholders and our futureholders.
In addition to a competitive salary we also offer a wide range of benefits. Our office in Chippenham is very accessible; we are just a two minute walk from Chippenham train station and within easy reach of surrounding towns and communities.
So if you’d like to be part of this multi award winning, innovative and fast growing ethical energy business, we’d love to hear from you.
Please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter stating your experience and suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
By applying for a job at Good Energy, you agree that we’ll process your details for the purpose of applying for this vacancy. We’ll have access to your personal information from your application and other materials you submit in support of your application. We’ll retain your personal information on our own systems to facilitate the administration of the recruitment process and we’ll share your application with the relevant hiring manager. We won’t share your information for marketing purposes or with any third parties without your expressed consent (if we decide to perform a psychometric test we’ll require additional consent for being able to profile your personal information). We’ll retain your information if you’re unsuccessful for 6 months unless requested not to at which point your data will be deleted.
Closing date: 28th October 2018
Ready to switch?